We've finally made it to the end of the 21 Day Challenge! As a reward for all of the hard work you've done cooking, here's something sweet to bake. This Almond Cake is reduced fat, as we cut half the butter with applesauce. You can replace all of the butter with applesauce, but it will change the texture a bit.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups whole almonds, in their skins
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 9 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- confectioners sugar and slivered almonds for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the almonds in a food processor and process to form a "mealy" mixture.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and applesauce together in a large bowl or mixer until smooth and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, almonds, and both extracts until well blended.
- Beat in the flour and salt mixture briefly, just until combined.
- Lightly grease a cake pan and line the pan with parchment paper.
- Pour the batter into the pan and smooth the surface. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the cake feels spongy.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar and top with slivered almonds.