Watermelons: this iconic green fruit with a fleshy, sweet center should be on your plate every week! Not only does this fruit make for a great dessert at a picnic, but there are several other reasons to eat more watermelon.
- Get heart healthy. Your heart will love watermelon for its high content of lycopene. This is what makes a watermelon red and potentially plays a role in preventing prostate cancer and cardiovascular disease. Watermelons also have potassium, which is a key nutrient for heart function.
- Make your bones stronger. Due to the high potassium content in watermelon, it can strengthen your bones indirectly. Potassium helps retain calcium, which helps build strong bones!
- Lose weight. Because watermelon is 90 percent water and low in calories, it’s a great cheat food for your diet. Also keep in mind a whole watermelon, about 9 pounds, only has 1355 calories. Could you eat one yourself?
- Fight off colds and flu. Watermelon has high levels of vitamin C, which plays an important role in healing wounds and boosting your immunity.
- Boost your partner's sex drive. Believe it or not, watermelon may be a natural viagra. According to a study from Texas A& M, citrulline - the amino acid in watermelon - increases arousal in males. Serve it up in a spritzer or slice it up on date night instead of the little blue pills.
Although watermelon season is limited for most parts of the country, make sure you get yours while it is hot - literally!