Presented By Mazola® Corn Oil
ating healthy sometimes feels like a big undertaking. But, if you have a plan in place you’ll find it’s easier than you think! What’s more, a study published in the Annals of Internal Medicine shows focusing on improving just one part of a diet versus trying to tackle a whole detailed daily diet, has relatively similar results. In a year long trial with 250 obese people, researchers found the difference between those who focused on fiber and those focused on the AHA diet was only 1.4 pounds on average.
Additionally the role lean proteins, like chicken and fish, play in the diet may be something to focus your efforts on. Protein is essential for just about every body function, not just building muscles. Plus lean proteins are heart healthy, especially cold-water fish like salmon.
When it comes to making just one big change in your diet, we make the case for fish, specifically salmon. Here are five ways to work this great tasting fish in to your meals.
1. Morning Glory – The lean pink flesh toppled over a whole-grain bagel, light cream cheese, minced hard-boiled eggs and capers are a beautiful vision. Plus it’s packed with heart-healthy smoked salmon.
2. Crunchy Sweet – Start with a foil-lined baking sheet and oven preheated to 375. Place a four-ounce filet of salmon, spread honey-mustard on top, and place on your baking sheet. Next sprinkle panko bread-crumbs and a drizzle of agave over the top and slip into that pre-heated oven. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until the flesh is firm and bright pink. This crunchy baked salmon has an edge of sweet and spicy for a four ingredient recipe.
3. Fish Friday – Friday may be popular for fish fries but any day can be a good day for some crispy salmon. Start with Mazola® Corn Oil in a heated skillet and simply sauté a beautiful four ounce fish filet until the skin becomes crunchy on the edges. It should take about 4-6 minutes for each side. You can season with salt and pepper to add a little more flavor. Serve warm with a side of barbecue sauce and brown rice. The extra benefit to using Mazola® Corn Oil is a recent study shows it helps lower cholesterol more than extra virgin olive oil.
4. Pasta Party – When people think of pasta, they think of red sauce. But skip the red sauce and add fish instead. Take your cooked penne pasta and add the seared skillet salmon above cut into small bite size chunks. Season with pesto made with corn oil to accentuate the flavor of the garlic and basil. Add steamed, chopped asparagus and sprinkle with pine nuts.
5. Swimming Salad – Pink and green go well together any time of year. Assemble your greens with a side of salmon. Whether you bake, fry, sauté, or grill your salmon, it’s an easy way of boosting the power of your greens with protein.
Keep in mind salmon is low in calories but high in many heart-healthy nutrients like omega-3’s, and fascinating new areas of health benefits involve the protein and amino acid content of salmon. Several recent studies have found that salmon contains small bioactive protein molecules (called bioactive peptides) that may provide special support for joint cartilage, insulin effectiveness and digestive health.
This is more good news to increase your salmon intake and live healthier.