Leaders in the restaurant industry selected their top 50 "must-go" places.
What constitutes the "best restaurant?" Sometimes it's a trendy place where you can get a big, juicy cheeseburger and sometimes...it's a quiet cafe where the big salad is to die for. According to this list, the world's top 50 restaurants boast a mastery of the finer foods. See if you've dined at any of these fancy establishments.
The restaurants on the top 50 list are selected by an elite group of more than 900 internationally recognized restauranteurs and influential people in the restaurant industry. The list shows who shines in the world of fine dining, spanning over the entire world, from Brazil to Yountville (in Napa Valley for food newbies).
This year, the group's top pick is Noma in Copenhagen. The restaurant is known for its Scandinavian creations like sea urchin toast and cod liver, a far cry from my big, juicy cheeseburger.
Noma was dethroned in 2013 by El Celler De Can Roca (number two in 2014), but quickly reclaimed its spot at the top. Our world traveler readers may have been fortunate enough to dine at these fine locations, but for most of us, they're a far off gastronomic dream.
World's 50 Best Restaurants For 2014
- Noma - Copenhagen, Denmark
- El Celler de Can Roca - Girona, Catalonia, Spain
- Osteria Francescana - Modena, Italy
- Eleven Madison Park - New York City, New York, U.S.A
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal - London, England
- Mugaritz - San Sebastian, Spain
- D.O.M. - Sao Paulo, Brazil
- Arzak - San Sebastian, Spain
- Alinea - Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- The Ledbury - London, England
- Mirazur - Menton, France
- Vendome - Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
- Nahm - Bangkok, Thailand
- Narisawa - Tokyo, Japan
- Central - Lima, Peru
- Steirereck - Vienna, Austria
- Gaggan - Bangkok, Thailand
- Astrid y Gaston - Lima, Peru
- Faviken - Jarpen, Sweden
- Pujol - Mexico City, Mexico
- Le Bernardin - New York City, New York, U.S.A.
- Villa Joya - Albufeira, Portugal
- Restaurant Frantzen - Stockholm, Sweden
- Amber - Hong Kong, China
- L'Arpege - Paris, France
- Azurmendi - Larrabetzu, Spain
- Le Chateaubriand - Paris, France
- Aqua - Wolfsburg, Germany
- De Librije - Zwolle, Netherlands
- Per Se - New York City, New York, U.S.A.
- L'Atelier Saint-Germain de Joel Robuchon - Paris, France
- Attica - Melbourne, Australia
- Nihonryori RyuGin - Tokyo, Japan
- Asador Etxebarri - Atxondo, Spain
- Martin Berasategui - Lasarte-Oria, Spain
- Mani - Sao Paolo, Brazil
- Restaurant Andre - Singapore
- L'Astrance - Paris, France
- Piazza Duomo - Alba, Italy
- Daniel - New York City, New York, U.S.A.
- Quique Dacosta - Denia, Spain
- Geranium - Copenhagen, Denmark
- Schloss Schauenstein - Furstenau, Switzerland
- French Laundry - Yountville, California, U.S.A.
- Hof Van Cleeve - Kruishoutem, Belgium
- Le Calandre - Rubano, Italy
- The Fat Duck - Bray, United Kingdom
- The Test Kitchen - Cape Town, South Africa
- Coi - San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Waku Ghin - Singapore