Thrift shopping is tons of fun and a good way to get more for your money. If you’re still a thrift shopping newbie, don’t let the stereotype of this new trend stop you from trying it. You’d be surprised at what goodies (from jewelry boxes to vintage t-shirts) you can find in excellent condition at second-hand stores (some with the price tag still on them!).
We’ve come up with a few tips to get you started and new things to consider if you’re already a thrift shopping queen!
6 Tips to Thrift Store Shop for the Best Experience
- Make room for your new things before thrifting. Take a look in your closet for items that you rarely use or even forgot that you have. Donate these pieces to local second-hand stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army.
- Do a quick online search of all the thrift stores in your area. The variety of items that thrift clothing and other shops carry sometimes makes it harder to find exactly what you’re looking for. Chances are you’re going to have to go to more than one.
- Every thrift store is unique. Get to know the ones in your area and the different styles they sell. Check out TheThriftShopper.com to find consignment stores then give yourself a little retail therapy!
- Pack a goodie bag when thrifting. You’ll notice items have obviously been sifted through. Make sure you have hand sanitizer, tissue and a stain remover product (to make sure any spots will come off before purchasing).
- Set a budget and only take cash. Thrift store prices are always a win, but bringing cash is probably the best way to stay within your limit. This allows you to leave your credit card and checkbook at home, meaning you probably won't spend as much. Not only that, but most thrift stores only accept cash.
- Know when to pass on an item. If you come across something that you want to buy, do a quick inspection. Check pockets for lint and sniff for any foul or musty odors. If there’s anything that makes you second guess your purchase or have you think, “I can clean it when I get home,” you might be better off leaving it on the shelf.
Thrifting can be really fun! Many people find their best items at a thrift store. The unique and gorgeous items I get the most compliments on are the ones I bought from a consignment shop!
Keep these tips in mind for a great shopping experience.