Health experts look into ways to savor a longer life-span.
Humans aren't always healthy. It’s not a surprise, but health leaders are hoping to lower the number of preventable deaths by 25 percent by 2025, saving roughly 35 million lives in the 15-year span. According to TIME, public health experts have set out a list of ways they hope to achieve their goal of saving lives, and the answers might not come as a surprise for many.
- No Smoking- It’s not secret that lighting up poses some serious health risks, but with more and more areas implementing tobacco bans, officials hope the number of smokers will continue to drop. The UN General Assembly has set out to reduce smoking by 30 percent by the year 2025.
- Limit excessive drinking- They might say a glass of red wine a day keeps the doctor away, but for those who are overindulging on their fermented yeast beverages the health risks could pose a serious threat. Excessive drinking can be linked to cancers, liver problems and high blood pressure.
- Cut back on salt- Diets high in sodium have been linked to health issues that include increased blood pressure, heart disease and stroke. Encouraging alternatives and meals with less salt can prove beneficial when it comes to ones health.
- Control blood pressure- This might seem like an obvious one but hypertension is a common health issues in today’s world. Exercise and low-sodium diets have been known to help maintain a normal blood pressure, but monitoring one’s levels is key to keeping things under control.
- Address diabetes- Diabetes is an ever-prominent problem in modern society. Much like obesity, diabetes threatens increased health risks like heart disease, kidney disease, and other life-altering issues.
- Reduce obesity- The obesity epidemic is a growing concern in today’s world, with ties to heart disease, diabetes and hypertension. There are several efforts in the United States and across the globe aiming to curb the weight problems faced by many in poverty-filled and developed nations.
Take the time to follow these few steps, and enjoy the life that you are meant to live!