No Time to Prepare for a Speech? Here are 8 Tips for Giving the Perfect Speech!
Inevitably, there will come a time in your professional career that you need to stand up in front of people and give a speech. And when you're prepared, rehearsed and you have that killer PowerPoint to keep you on track, it may not be so bad. But, what happens when you've been given a short notice: a week, a day or even ten minutes to know that you have to deliver a great talk without much preparation?
Here are some of my favorite tips for giving a great speech that will put your nerves at ease.
How to Give a Great Speech
- "Getting to know you, getting to know all about you...." Just like the song says, "Getting to know your audience" is key. Speak to their level and be mindful of their attention span and interest.
- Love at first site. The first image people see of you should be great posture, a warm smile and relaxed shoulders. The initial impression of your speech is formed in the first minute, so stand tall and confident.
- The three-step. Think of three key points and stick to them. You'll be better served if you write these down and keep on topic.
- KISS. Keep it simple, stupid. This basic phrase holds true for almost any situation, the easier it is to understand your points, the better. The best graphs, pictures and videos are not worth anything if they can not be understood by your audience.
- Laugh it off. Everybody needs a good laugh. Humor helps any crowd feel comfortable and stay engaged with your topic. Find something funny to incorporate, even if it's about yourself. You might mention for them to be kind to you since you didn't prepare for today.
- Master Commander. Be confident that what you have to say is important to the audience. They would not have asked you to speak if they didn't think people wanted to hear what you had to say.
- Short and sweet. Keep in mind that everyone's time is at hand. A concise, to the point, speech is better than rambling on for hours. The initial impression is formed
- Speak from the heart. Experience is the best teacher so share your personal story to drive home your point.
Andrea Metcalf is a healthy lifestyle guide, best-selling author and nationally recognized media personality and speaker. From health to social to media, Andrea shares tips on living a better life through healthy living and empowerment.
For more on Andrea, please visit her website!