Savory apple cheddar muffins make a delicious and healthy snack for kids!
Savory muffins make great cold-weather snacks for hungry kids. They're also perfect as a quick weekday breakfast idea, or for packing in lunch bags for the school or taking to the office. This go-to apple cheddar muffin recipe is easy to prepare and makes a healthy, satisfying snack for your family.
Kids love cheese, and even the pickiest kids will enjoy the combination of apple and cheddar in a yummy baked muffin. Make these apple cheddar muffins as an easy take-to-school snack, as a play date pick-me-up, or try them for breakfast. We've got you busy moms covered, with a recipe that takes about 30 minutes to prepare from start to finish.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- Muffin tins
- No-stick cooking spray
How to Make Apple Cheddar Muffins
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare a 12-cup muffin tin by coating with no-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in 1 cup of the cheddar (reserving the rest) and all the Parmesan cheese.
- In a smaller bowl, beat together the egg, buttermilk and vegetable oil.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Distribute batter evenly amongst the prepared muffin tins. Sprinkle each evenly with the remaining cheddar cheese.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Let cool in tins for 10 minutes, before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. To remove muffins easily from tins, tip the muffin tray on its side and use a large spoon to "scoop" the muffins out.
For more delicious recipe ideas, visit Myjellybean.com.