Most Dangerous Ingredients in Beauty Products
There are bad make up ingredients in cosmetic and hygiene products that women use every day. Many of the ingredients found in cosmetics are skin irritants that provoke rashes and can even be carcinogenic. Women should educate themselves about the dangers of chemicals in beauty products and research the products they use to prevent harmful effects on their skin and body.
Ten Bad Makeup Ingredients All Women Should Know About
Do you see the irony in using products for our hair and face that are supposed to improve our appearance but are actually products that are harmful to our skin and bodies? Common products that we use everyday actually have ingredients that can clog pores, dry out the skin and hair, and even accelerate the aging process. Below are ten of the most common harmful ingredients found in beauty products.
- Mineral Oil-Found in lipsticks, lotion, makeup removers and liquid foundation. It's the main ingredient in baby oil. This oil is derived from petroleum and it coats the skin like a lotion. This film on the skin clogs the pores and the skin cannot rid itself of toxins.
- Petroleum-Found in face creams, lotion, and lipstick, this chemical also coats the skin and clogs pores.
- Paraffin-Paraffin is wax filler made from coal or petroleum. It is used to solidify products such as bath bars and liner pencils. Paraffin can irritate the skin and clog pores.
- Alpha-hydroxy acids-Widely known as being good for our skin, alpha hydroxy acids are in many skin cleansers, masks and moisturizers. This ingredient exfoliates the skin. However, it takes off the natural protective layers as well. Alpha hydroxy acids can make the skin 50% more vulnerable to the sun's harmful U.V. rays, thus expediting the sun's aging process and even increasing risks of skin cancer.
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate-This chemical is found in toothpaste, shampoos, and cosmetics. This ingredient causes products to foam and bubble and is a sister to sulfuric acid. This chemical can strip the skin of protective oils, thus allowing contaminates from the environment to be absorbed through the skin. Sodium lauryl sulfate can cause mild to even extreme skin irritation. Once absorbed by the skin, it can mimic the hormone estrogen. There is research to suggest that this can lead to an increase in female breast cancer, PMS and male infertility.
- Alcohol-Alcohol is found in many shampoos and can have a drying effect on skin and hair.
- Talc-Talc is found in blushes, powdered foundations, and baby powder. Talc is a carcinogen when inhaled.
- Laquer-This additive waterproofs mascara and makes eyelashes appear fuller. However, ironically, it can make eyelashes fall out as well.
- Collagen-Natural collagen helps our skin retain it's elasticity. However, collagen in cosmetics is made from ground up chicken feet and animal skin. It clogs pores.
- Lanolin-Derived from wool, this oil is often considered healthy for our skin, but it too clogs pores.
This is just a beginning of a list of harmful ingredients in cosmetics and products we use every day. Women should read the ingredients on products they use and research them fully. Education and knowledge will empower women to make good beauty product choices for themselves and their families.