This non-traditional mac and cheese made with sharp white cheddar is sure to delight your guests. It’s also a great meat substitute for any vegetarians when hosting parties or heading to potlucks. Enjoy!
- 16 oz. elbow pasta
- 1 stick butter
- 5 tbsp. flour
- 1 quart half-and-half
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tbsp. dry mustard
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 24 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 4 pieces crusty white bread, preferably sourdough or a small baguette
1. Put water on to boil for pasta. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. Melt butter over medium heat in medium to large saucepan and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add cream, pepper, mustard and flour and stick until thick. This will take about 10 minutes, but it is important to keep stirring.
4. Cut the cream cheese into pieces and add to sauce. Add half of the shredded white cheddar and stir until smooth. Remove from heat and combine with cooked pasta. Mix well.
5. In a 13x9 baking pan, put 1/3 of the noodles on the bottom.
6. Alternate layers of pasta and the remaining white cheddar. Break bread into small chunks and sprinkle on top.
7. Add grated parmesan and parsley or pepper if desired.
8. Bake uncovered until bubbling, usually about 40-50 minutes depending on your oven.
Photo Credit: Kerry Cardoza