Take advantage of the season and try something truly bold, interesting, and delicious. Winter is the perfect time to scoop up black truffles at your local farmers market or even some specialty grocery stores. Use these to add a new flavor kick to a classic treat and be prepared to share your secret, because this dessert is too good to keep to yourself!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp. black truffle, minced
- 1 tsp. black truffle oil
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup melted caramel
- Over medium-high heat, warm and combine the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan. Remove from heat when the milk begins to bubble around the edges.
- Stirring constantly with a whisk, pour some of the hot milk into the egg yolks (beaten) to temper.
- Pour egg mixture into the saucepan and continue stirring on a low heat until the mixture thickens into a custard (and will coat the back of a metal spoon with a thin film). This will take approximately 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add vanilla, truffles and oil and stir to combine.
- Let sit and cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Then, stir in heavy cream, cover, and place mixture in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Stir again, then add into your ice cream maker. Add in the caramel for a swirl effect, or simply use it as a topping when ready to serve.
- Freeze the custard accordingly to the ice cream maker’s manufacturer’s instructions.
Recipe Credit: Flanboyant Eats