Giving gifts at the office on the cheap.... shhh.
You don't want to be cheap, but you are poor this year. How can you give but not so much that it hurts. Co-workers deserve acknowledgement but they don't deserve the shirt off your back!
Many of us struggle with the gifts for coworkers that we should buy for Christmas or the holidays. You wonder where you cut off the line and who you should and shouldn't buy for. And if you have close friends in work will others notice that you bought them something a lot nicer than your coffee cup?
The fact is that in today's economy it is more and more important to find those cheap and easy Christmas presents that will still be appreciated. It's a delicate balance but there are some gifts out there that will be appreciated by most.
Finding Cheap and Easy Holiday Gifts
If you have close friends in work, will others notice that you bought them something a lot nicer than your coffee cup? The fact is that in today's economy it is more and more important to find those cheap and easy Christmas presents that will still be appreciated. It's a delicate balance but there are some gifts out there that will be appreciated by most.
So how do you go about selecting holiday presents for coworkers? There are a couple schools of thought.
- The first is that you buy the same holiday presents for everyone.
- The second is that you buy the same thing for the men and the same thing for the women.
- The third thought is that you get unique holiday gifts for everyone. Buying unique presents for everyone might be a good thought, but it is difficult since you really don't know most of these people that well so you might want to go with one of the other two options.
There are some cute and quick Christmas gifts for women that they might appreciate. Some of the holiday gift giving ideas include:
- Gourmet coffees or gourmet teas depending on what they tend to drink
- Homemade breads, cookies or cakes but you might want to stay away from fruit cake- 90% hate them and use them as door stops.
- Christmas chocolates are always good and you can get a nice box for just a bit of money.
- Also women appreciate makeup totes, but some won't so make sure the person at least wears makeup before you give something like that.
- Coffee cups and souvenir cups of your local city's team
- Nice pens
- Nuts, such as pistachios, in a nice container
- If your place of work has a cafeteria, many of them will let you purchase holiday gift cards for food.
- Also, there are always the gift cards that everyone likes that are easy and appreciated. Think about the places that you all like to go to; even a $10 gift card is a start. Coffee shops, food establishments and movie theaters are all great gifts and relatively inexpensive.
Christmas gift-giving stress can be limited and this includes when you exchange holiday gifts with your peers at work. Set some guidelines about maximum dollar amounts so you all stay in the same ballpark and if you really want to limit your holiday spending and financial exposure do a holiday grab bag instead of exchanging with everyone. You could also do a white elephant which is like a grab bag but with gag gifts.
These are but a few idea of what you can get but you know your peers better than anyone so start early, look in discount stores and online and start pricing around now. The best way to get reasonably-priced holiday gifts is to start early and get the deals now.