Serve up a comfort food classic in 30 minutes with our easy-to-make recipe!
Chicken pot pie is a cold-weather family classic. Busy moms will love this easy-to-prepare version that's ready in 30 minutes from start to finish.
Our budget-friendly recipe is also healthy for kids to eat, featuring a hearty, homemade filling chock full of vegetables. Kids will love getting their own individual chicken pot pies they don't have to share.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 1 package frozen puff pastry sheets (2 sheets), thawed
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced small
- 4 medium carrots, cut into thin coins
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light cream (you can use whole milk in a pinch)
- 3 cups chicken broth (make from low-sodium bouillon cubes)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken (use leftovers, or pick up a cooked bird at the deli counter)
- Rolling pin
- Large frying pan with cover
- 8 individual ramekins (or small baking dishes)
Make Our 30-Minute Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a large cutting board or clean countertop. Roll each pastry sheet into a 10-inch square. Then cut.
- each rolled-out sheet into four 5-inch squares. Set aside for now.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Add butter and allow to melt.
- Just when butter is melted, add onions and carrots to pan. Cover and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and carrots are tender.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add flour and stir to coat vegetables.
- Pour in cream slowly, stirring the whole time to combine it with the other ingredients. Add chicken broth and Bay leaf.
- Continue to cook for about 7 minutes, stirring now and then, until the mixture becomes thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cooked chicken. Remove from heat and season the mixture in the pan with salt and pepper. Remove and discard Bay leaf.
- Use a large spoon to divide the hot mixture evenly among the 8 ramekins. Top each with a pastry square.
- Bake 10 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
- Serve hot, or store in fridge covered tightly with plastic wrap for up to 3 days.
- For more recipe ideas, visit Myjellybean.com.