Chocolate peppermint mousse is wonderfully indulgent and decadent. Impress both adults and children alike with these little minty chocolate treats. This recipe is safe for pregnant women or those with egg allergies and can be whipped up in less than 20 minutes.
- 5 oz marshmallow
- 2 oz butter
- 7 oz mint matchmakers or peppermint crisp chocolates
- 4 oz good quality dark chocolate
- 15 fl oz double cream
- ½ teaspoon cocoa powder, to dust (optional)
- 6 Ramekins or small serving dishes
- Place a heavy bottom saucepan over a gentle heat, then add the marshmallows, butter, peppermint crisp chocolates and dark chocolate into the pan. Melt together for five to ten minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to combine the ingredients whilst taking care not to burn. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Whip ½ pint of the double cream in a separate bowl into firm peaks. Fold in the cooled chocolate mixture until it's all combined. Pour the mixture into 6 mini glass dishes or ramekins then place into the fridge to chill for at least 60 minutes, or until firm.
- Before serving, whip the remainder of the double cream before spooning on to the top of each individual mousse. Chop up a couple of peppermint crisp chocolates and sprinkle over top, along with a dusting of cocoa powder to serve.
It's easy to customize and change up this basic recipe. Switch the peppermint crisp chocolates for 2 tablespoons of instant coffee granules and double up the dark chocolate amount to create chocolate coffee pot mousses instead. You can also switch up the peppermint crisp chocolates for orange crisp chocolates to create yummy chocolate orange mousses.
Recipe Credit: Woman and Home