Give your applesauce a kick with the delicious taste of cinnamon and vanilla! It’s a comforting and tasty treat for the holidays and winter.
- 5 pounds of apples (about 14, Gala apples works well)
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more as needed
- 1/2 cup cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Peel the skin from the apples and slice into chunks.
- Place in wide, heavy saucepan and add 1 cup of water (add more depending on how thick or thin you want sauce). Turn on medium heat.
- Combine all other ingredients. Cook covered and stir occasionally with spoon, adding more cider as needed to prevent scorching.
- Wait until apples have broken down (50-60 minutes). Mash large pieces with spoon.
- Remove from heat. Serve at warm or room temperature.