Simple, Fast and to the Point
There isn't a chocolate lover alive who can resist the mellow richness of chocolate mousse pie, especially when it's takes less than a half an hour to prepare. Although you'll need to get a head start to make sure it's properly chilled, treating the taste buds is quick and easy. When you need that chocolate fix, curb that chocolate craving with the decadence of cream cheese chocolate mousse pie. It just what every chocolate lover needs!
Kraft Foods introduced a way to turn ordinary cream cheese into quick and easy dessert recipes like the cream cheese chocolate mousse pie recipe and put them right on the cream cheese package. How convenient is that? Now anyone can whip up a great tasting chocolate mousse pie using cream cheese to calm the chocolate beast. Let's see how it's done!
First things first, make sure to have all the necessary ingredients before starting. There's nothing more disappointing to the chocolate craving than to start making a cream cheese chocolate mousse pie recipe if critical ingredients are missing. So to ensure we get off to a good start lets review the key ingredients to a mouthwatering Chocolate cream cheese mousse pie. A span in amount of ingredients is indicated for purpose of filling a deep dish pie as opposed to a smaller pie tin.
- One - two 8 ounce packages of soft cream cheese; or whipped cream cheese is the perfect choice for thicker richer chocolate mousse filling; also both cream cheese styles are available in low fat or fat free for guilt free indulgence.
- 8 inch (regular) or 11 inch (deep dish) chocolate pie crust or graham cracker crust, which is lower in calories than a regular crust and refridgerate well. You can also use a regular flaky pie dough crust, just be sure to weight the bottom with beans to keep it from puffing up. Pre-bake pie crust for 15 minutes. Cool. This should be done before preparing the mousse.
- A half cup to 3/4 C of good coco powder, or a good dark chocolate really makes the chocolate flavor burst. And for a richer chocolaty flavor try melted semi sweet chocolate morsels- up to 1lb. or chips to add to the fluffy consistency.You can also use semi-sweeet bar chocolate, again melted and cooled before mixing into the cream cheese
- A teaspoon and a half of vanilla extract. Or be adventurous and try up to 3 TBLS of Grand Mariner, Irish Cream, or another of your favorite liqours.
- One half to One cup of powder sugar, depending upon how sweet you like your pie.
- Two to four cups of heavy whipped cream. Or if you are avoiding dairy, try 2-4 four cups of nondairy whipped topping , which is great for those who avoid dairy and an ingredient that gives the chocolate mousse a rich flavor.
The second part of the recipe preparation, the chocolate mousse cream cheese filling is also quite simple and takes about 10 minutes, tops. Once all the ingredients are at hand you'll need two mixing bowls, large and medium.
- A large mixing bowl to make the cream cheese chocolate mousse filling. Starting with the cream cheese and coco power, or melted whip until thoroughly mixed and fluffy then add the vanilla extract and powdered sugar until fluffy and smooth. Once the mixture is thickened to chosen consistency add in the chocolate morsels or chips if desired.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the heavy whip cream until it peaks firmly then mix into the large bowl with the mousse filling. Be sure to lightly fold the whipped cream into the chocolate mousse mixture until thick, smooth and fluffy.
- Finally pour the finished chocolate mousse filling into the pre-baked and cooled pie crust then put in the refrigerator to chill. To ensure the pie crust is cooled for guests, put it in the refrigerator for at least a half hour after baking. Some families like to freeze the finished pie for a more icecream like texture.
- Cream cheese Chocolate Mousse Pie typically takes about 2-4 hours to properly chill and tastes best when served cold with low fat cool whip and chocolate shavngs or chip morsels garnishing the top. Be creative with cherries and strawberries if available.
Here's a cool Mousse pie alternaive idea that your kids will love. Try a Peanut butter cup mousse pie by mixing a half cup of your favorite smooth and creamy peanut butter into the chocolate mousse mixture; just as simple to make and only requires replacing the chocolate with peanut butter. Find other great cream cheese mousse pie filling ideas online or create your own unique flavors of Cream cheese mousse pie and fillings.