Creating meals and desserts on a limited budget often takes a bit of creativity. Extremely versatile Cream Puff recipe gives the illusion that you've baked all day. These delicious morsels can be filled with creamy pudding or custard for a sinfully rich dessert or with a hearty pot pie filling for lovely main dish.
Cream Puff Recipe
- 1 Stick of Butter (Not Margarine!)
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup All-purpose Flour
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- In a medium heavy saucepan combine water and butter over medium heat until boiling.
- Add flour and stir until the mixture forms a ball (about 1 full minute).
- Remove from heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- If using a Mixer, turn on medium and add 4 eggs, all at once. Otherwise, use a hand mixer to completely blend in the eggs until the dough is creamy smooth, not choppy in appearance. Do this process quickly, as the mixture needs to remain HOT.
- Drop the dough by scant 1/4 c. cupfuls onto an UN-GREASED cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. They will puff up considerably during baking.
- Bake 35-38 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Makes 12 large puffs or 36 bite size puffs.
It’s very important to note that you should NOT, under any circumstances, open the oven before the 35-38 minutes is up or your puffs will collapse, giving them a pancake-like appearance. Allow the freshly baked puffs to cool completely before removing them from the pan or touching them. Also, avoid cool drafts as this too can make them collapse. Once they are completely cooked, Fill these delightful puffs with vanilla or chocolate pudding and drizzle hot fudge sauce over the top of them to create sinfully delicious desserts. These puffs freeze extremely well, just place the cooled puffs in a freezer bag. To thaw, microwave for 8-10 seconds per puff.
If you'd prefer to serve them as a main dish they can be served filled with chicken or turkey pot pie filling for a lovely change of pace. If you're considering a party and want to create some delicious, easy to eat finger food sandwiches, serve mini-puffs filled with egg salad or tuna salad.
- 1 Stick Butter = .75¢
- Flour = .11¢
- 4 eggs = .24¢
- Water- free
- Total cost to make Cream Puffs: $ 1.10 = .09¢ cents each
- Or, if you are making 36 to fill as appetizers or mini desserts = .03¢ per appetizer
For more delicious, dirt cheap, and frugal recipes, visit Budget101.com