Ice Cream shouldn't be done plain. There's too much out there to try! And since it's #NationalIceCreamDay, why not experiment?
There are vanilla fans and chocolate fans but what about sprucing up your bowl of ice cream or ice cream cone? Classic flavors such as vanilla and chocolate will never go away but you can always add something to them to make them more flavorful and fun. From ingredients you can mix into your ice cream to unconventional toppings, here are a few of the easiest and best ice cream combinations to create in your kitchen for hot summer days.
Creative Ice Cream Combos
- Fruity Cereal: Just add a few tablespoons of your favorite cereal to vanilla ice cream.
- Poppyseed and Lemon Curd: For a refreshing cup of ice cream, add lemon curd and poppyseed to vanilla ice cream.
- Lemon Thyme: Want some more lemon. Add lemon curd and chopped thyme to vanilla ice cream.
- Honey Pistachio: All you need is a little bit of honey and finely chopped unsalted pistachios to go with vanilla ice cream (or pistachio ice cream for a greater flavor).
- Cinnamon Toast: Toast three pieces of cinnamon bread and butter each. Cut into small pieces and stir in vanilla ice cream.
- Orange White Chocolate Chunk: Looking for an acquired but divine tasting ice cream, add finely grated orange zest and chopped white chocolate chips in chocolate ice cream.
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookie: Crumble a couple of oatmeal raisin cookies in vanilla ice cream then add a bit of cinnamon.
- Cherries and Pistachio: Combine two of the greatest toppings by adding chopped cherries and chopped unsalted pistachios in vanilla ice cream.
- Malt Ball: If your love malt shakes then this is right up your alley. Chop malted milk balls in chocolate ice cream for crunchy, malty taste!
- Pineapple Ginger: Mix drained canned crushed pineapple and finely grated ginger in vanilla ice cream.
- Roasted Almond Fudge: Roast a cup of almonds then chop them up. Stir in almonds and warm fudge in chocolate ice cream.
- PB&J Ice Cream: Who knew a sandwich staple could be combined with ice cream? Mix peanut butter, sugar and milk together to make a peanut butter sauce. Stir in with grape jelly to vanilla ice cream.
- Strawberry Shortcake: Add pound cake pieces and strawberry to vanilla ice cream.
- S’more Ice Cream: Add mini marshmallows and graham crackers to chocolate ice cream.
- Chocolate Banana Split: Chopped banana, chopped walnuts, and chopped cherries in chocolate ice cream is the perfect way to turn around the classic banana split.
- Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Chip: Add unsweetened coconut and melted semi sweet chocolate chips in chocolate ice cream.
- Coffee and Donuts: If you’re a coffee fans, mix 1 1/2 tablespoons of instant expresso powder with 2 tablespoons of heavy cream and stir it in vanilla ice cream. Add cut up donuts and you’ve got your self a sinful blend.