You’ve probably bought glass vases or drinking glasses in the store that have a beautiful etched design. Maybe you thought it would be too difficult, time consuming or expensive to do it yourself. Wrong!
Glass etching is actually very simple, barely time consuming and doesn’t hurt your wallet! Etching a piece of glass is a perfect DIY idea for your home, as a gift or it even provides a rustic look as a centerpiece for a wedding or party!
Simply gather up the supplies you’ll need and follow my step-by-step tutorial and see just how easy and fun it is! Pretty soon, you’ll be etching everything you can get your hands on!
What You’ll Need
- Glass etching cream
- Stencils. You can be super creative here. Consider stencils for the holidays, for the garden or a monogram stencil as a gift!
- Glass vase or any other glass item you’d like to etch. You could choose anything such as vases, picture frames or wine glasses!
- Rubbing alcohol
- Stencil tape
- Paintbrush or sponge brush
- Before you begin, clean your glass vase with rubbing alcohol so there’s no marks or fingerprints. Wear your gloves throughout the whole project so you don’t leave any marks behind.
- Tape your stencil on the glass precisely where you want to place the design.
- Apply a thick coat of glass etching cream to the stencil.
- Leave on for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off in a stainless steel sink. Do not rinse in a porcelain sink because the etching cream can ruin the porcelain!
- Carefully remove the tape and stencil to reveal your beautiful design!
There’s no drying time involved. Just fill your new etched glass vase with flowers and get ready to wow!