Whip up some yummy smelling homemade air fresheners and love how your house smells!
Have you ever read the ingredients on store-bought air fresheners? A common toxin found in many store-bought room scents is phthalate esters. Can you even pronounce that? They also contain many other toxic ingredients.
Follow our photo step-by-step tutorial on making homemade air fresheners that are frugal and safe for you and your family. This also makes a great gift, especially for people with asthma or people sensitive to strong odors. Husbands will love these scents too as most men hate overpowering scents! Also ideal for expecting mommies! All you need is water and some fruits and herbs. Doesn’t get more natural than that!
Lemon, Rosemary and Vanilla Room Scents
This is a refreshing scent that will takeover every part of your home! All the ingredients you need are available in your local grocery store, or you may even have them already in your fridge!
- 1 large mason jar
- 2-3 lemons, depending on how strong you want the scent
- 5 fresh sprigs of rosemary
- Clear imitation vanilla
- Fill your mason jar halfway with water.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vanilla to your jar. You could use more or less, depending on how strong you want the scent to be. Slice up 2-3 lemons and place into mason jar.
- Taking your sprigs of rosemary, decoratively place into mason jar all around and in between the lemon slices. Voila!
- Now that your homemade air freshener is all ready to go, either give as-is as a gift or place into small room like a bathroom for a light, fresh scent.
- To really freshen your whole house, pour the mixture into a pot and place on stove. Simmer the contents. As the mix heats up, it will spread throughout your whole house! Keep an eye on it as the water will evaporate so keep adding water and vanilla, if necessary, otherwise you will have the smell of icky burning lemon and rosemary!
- When finished, pour mixture back into mason jar and place into fridge until next use. These scents will last for about 3 days.
Other All Natural Recipes
- Orange and cinnamon sticks. Perfect for the fall!
- Lime and mint with a little vanilla. Very refreshing for the summertime!
- Pine and nutmeg. Ideal for Christmas!
- Coconut extract and lime. You’ll love this scent for the summer.
- Orange and vanilla. Like a creamsicle!
And it’s that easy to have a fresh, non-toxic and all natural scented house! These homemade air freshener recipes only take 10 minutes to make and they turn out gorgeous!
Photo Credit: April Schallau