Standing in line every morning at your favorite coffee shop to grab a mocha latte is time consuming and not very easy on your wallet.
New reports indicate that the average American spends $15 a week on coffee at coffee shops, and that’s not including coffee they buy for home use! They also report that Americans spend almost $1,200 a year on coffee! That’s a rent payment, or think of all the shoes you could buy.
Ditch the coffee shop and make your own mocha latte at home. It’s easy, simple, cheap and takes just minutes!
- 3 tablespoons or packet of instant hot cocoa mix. The best part of this is that if you’re looking for a healthier version, you can use hot chocolate mix that is diet or has less sugar
- ½ cup of milk. I personally love whole milk for that rich mocha taste but you can use skim for a healthier version
- 8 oz. of strong, black coffee
- Prepare your dark, black coffee and pour into a large mug. Cappuccino mugs work perfectly!
- Stir in your hot chocolate powder.
- On the stove, heat your milk over low-medium heat. You don’t want to boil or burn the milk.
- When it gets hot, take a whisk to it and froth it for about 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into mug using a spoon to stop the froth. Spoon the froth on top.
- Drink as-is or add whipped cream and sprinkles, or even drizzle chocolate sauce on top.
Photo Credit: April Schallau