A Great Variation to the Traditional Meatloaf!
As mothers, we often get in recipe ruts. But there are variations of the "same ole same ole" that we can surprise and "wow" our families with. And this recipe is one of them! All it takes is a regular meatloaf recipe and adding a little "Mexi" to it-- and you get Mexican meatloaf! And you Hispanic mamas can probably even make it better! This Mexican beef loaf recipe will even win the taste buds of kids. And feel free to vary any of the ingredients if you know the little ones will turn up their noses.
Mexican Meatloaf Recipe
This Mexican beef loaf recipe is laid out in its simplest form. For added "pop," you can had jalopenos and cayenne pepper. If you didn't have the advantage of growing up Mexican, ask your Hispanic friend as to how to spice it up!
Meatloaf dishes can be healthy if made right. And meatloaf recipes are virtually all protein with excellent spices and veggies that heighten the antioxidant advantage. That means you will stay full longer and eat the veggies that stop the aging process. And really, when you think of it, most of the food groups are present in this Mexican meatloaf recipe. All you need to do is add some fruit and bump up the carbohydrate content by adding bread crumbs or serving with rice, preferably brown.
Mexican Meatloaf Ingredients
- 2 lbs. ground beef - Healthy Hint: Choose the leanest ground beef you can get your hands on, or substitute by doing half lean beef and half ground turkey.
- 1- 8 oz. can tomato sauce - Healthy Hint: If you shun canned tomatoes, puree your own tomato sauce using organic tomatoes.
- 1 envelope of taco or enchilada seasoning mix - or you can make your own with your own mixture of spices.
- 1 egg - Healthy Hint: You can substitute egg whites.
- 1 cup crushed corn chips - Healthy Hint: Choose low salt corn chips to keep those sodium levels down.
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional) - Healthy Hint: Choose skim milk cheese or tofu cheeses, or just plain omit the cheese option. Better yet, if you do pick a healthy cheese, let your family choose whether or not they want to top the Mexican loaf with it.
Combine the tomato sauce and taco seasoning mix. Add ground beef and egg. Mix thoroughly. Shape into a loaf on your baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Sprinkle cheese on the Mexican meatloaf if you so choose.
Creative Mexican Meatloaf Variations
You can serve this meatloaf over cooked rice and garnish the loaf with shredded lettuce, avocado and tomato wedges If you have children, perhaps you can have little bowls with optional garnishes that they can pick and choose from.