Nothing makes you feel quite at home like a classic, hearty, chicken pot pie. Skip the store-bought frozen dinner and opt-in for this classic homemade dish!
*Note: You can easily add or eliminate vegetables based on your preference
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cubed
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- ½ cup celery
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed (or to taste)
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan. Add water to cover and boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and set aside.
- In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Place the chicken mixture in bottom pie crust. Pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
If you like more sauce in your dish, double the chicken broth, milk and flour. This is a perfect dinner recipe for the entire family. What’s a better way to warm up the evening than a cozy dish of chicken pot pie? Enjoy!
Recipe Credit: All Recipes