Presented by Shamrock Farms®
It seems nowadays that everything has been turned into a holiday. From Talk Like a Pirate Day and Left-Hander's Day to Sibling Appreciation Day and National Napping Day, there's always a reason to celebrate. Dairy is so delicious that it not only has its own holiday, but it has a whole month! In honor of National Dairy Month, Womensforum has curated three different ways to work the calcium-rich staples of milk, sour cream and cottage cheese into your meals, treats and even party foods!
Sour Cream Guacamole
There are so many ways to make guacamole, but adding sour cream makes it smooth, creamy and even more delicious. Dairy offers so many health benefits that it only seems fitting to pair it with avocados, another great source of vitamins and minerals. Yields 6-8 servings.
- 4 avocados
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup Shamrock Farms® Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Peel and pit the avocados.
- Place the avocados in a bowl and mash them together with the sour cream, cilantro, onion, salt, pepper and lime juice.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the wrap is pressed firmly to the surface of the guacamole or it will turn brown due to oxidation.
Baked Mac & Cheese
Macaroni and cheese is a delicious and decadent meal that never disappoints. Adding cottage cheese to the mix keeps the creaminess while adding protein and wholesome dairy nutrition. Yields 8-10 servings.
- 1 package elbow macaroni
- 1 container (16 oz) Shamrock Farms® Cottage Cheese
- 1 container (8 oz) Shamrock Farms® Sour Cream
- 1/4 cup bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 Tbsp breadcrumbs
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In a large bowl, combine macaroni, cottage cheese, Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, sour cream, bacon, salt and pepper.
- Spray a 9x13 inch glass dish with cooking spray. Add cheese and pasta mixture to dish.
- Combine remaining Parmesan with breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over pasta.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until top is golden.
Reduced Fat Tres Leches Cake
Since "tres leches" translates to "three milks" it's the perfect recipe to celebrate National Dairy Month. This recipe uses reduced-fat options when available, so you can enjoy your dessert without guilt! Yields 6-8 servings.
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup Shamrock Farms® Calcium Plus Milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can low-fat or fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup Shamrock Farms® Calcium Plus Milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar on high speed until thick and light yellow.
- Stir in Shamrock Farms® Calcium Plus Milk Reduced Fat milk, vanilla extract, flour and baking powder.
- Fold egg whites into flour mixture and spread the batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden and center is springy. Cool 15-20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine condensed milk, evaporated milk and whole milk, whisk and heat.
- Prick cake all over with a fork or skewer, being careful not to tear it. Slowly pour milk mixture over the cake until it is absorbed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Serve with whipped cream and sliced fruit, if desired.