Presented by Shamrock Farms®
A glass of milk, a bowl of cottage cheese and a spoonful of sour cream are great on their own, but when you add them to a recipe, magic happens. Here are some "dairy exciting" recipes that turn these pure and fresh kitchen staples into cool and refreshing treats that your whole family will love.
Strawberry Cheesecake Smoothie
When you get ready to make a smoothie, your instinct is probably to grab the milk or yogurt. But this recipe switches it up and uses cottage cheese, which is a great ingredient to add to a smoothie because it fills you up and is both low in calories and high in protein. Yields 3 servings.
- 1 cup strawberries
- 1/2 cup Shamrock Farms® Cottage Cheese
- 1/2 cup Shamrock Farms® Calcium Plus Milk
- handful of ice cubes
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Blend until well combined. Top with graham cracker crumbs if desired.
Adding ice or juice to milk might sound strange to many Americans, but it's a pretty common practice in many Latin communities. Morir Soñando is a Dominican drink that combines orange juice and milk for a delicious, creamy and refreshing drink that's perfect for an afternoon snack. Yields 4-6 servings.
- 3 cups Shamrock Farms® Calcium Plus Milk
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 1/2 cups ice cubes or crushed ice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Stir the milk and the sugar together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place milk in the freezer until it's very cold, but not frozen.
- Add the ice cubes to the milk and stir. Slowly add the orange juice to the milk while stirring constantly, so you don't curdle the milk.
Blueberry Sour Cream Ice Cream
What's a better way to cool off on a warm spring day (or to dream about summer during a late-season blizzard) than a bowl of ice cream? Give your ice cream a bit of a rich and tangy flavor by adding sour cream. If you're going to be making a lot of ice cream, it's probably best to invest in an ice cream maker; if not, there are two ways to make ice cream sans machine listed below the recipe. Yields 4-6 servings.
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 1 cup Shamrock Farms® Sour Cream
- 1 cup Shamrock Farms® Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Combine the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate mixture for at least one hour.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer instructions.
How to Make Ice Cream Without a Machine
- Pour the ice cream base into a freezer-safe shallow pan and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and mix with a fork to break up all of the ice chunks.
- Repeat every 20 minutes until ice cream has firmed up and reached the consistency you prefer. This should take 2 to 4 hours.
- Fill a quart-sized zipper-style bag two-thirds full with the ice cream mixture and zip closed.
- Place that bag inside of a gallon-sized zip bag.
- Holding the smaller bag up to the top of the gallon-sized bag, fill the gallon-sized bag with crushed ice and rock salt, in layers.
- Close the gallon bag and begin to massage and shake the bags to create ice cream.
- Check the quart bag every so often to see if ice cream has reached your preferred consistency.