If you were to look in your fridge today, what would you find that shouldn't be there?
Many times when I'm personal training in people's homes, I've had the fun experience of looking into their refrigerator to find what they're really eating. I've seen that it's easier to eat healthy if you have healthy food in your fridge. So what foods should you be stocking up on?
Open Your Fridge to be Healthier!
Here are five foods you should always have on hand that will help you eat healthier more often.
1. Eggs. Eggs plain and simple are a great breakfast starter, but they also lend themselves to quiches, casseroles and other healthy dishes that can be packed with veggies. They are a great source of protein with eight grams per egg, and whether you chose an egg substitute or cage-free eggs, both are a great option. Keep in mind that many egg substitutes are 98 percent egg with a little beta carotene for added color.
2. Spinach. Spinach made Popeye stronger, and it has iron and other vitamins to make you stronger too. Plus it blends easily into smoothies, breakfast omelets, and can be added into soups easily without being detected by your children. Plus opt for baby spinach which has a milder taste than big leaf.
3. Bell Peppers. Not only are bell peppers colorful and high in anti-oxidants, they have a milder flavor. They are great to add to pasta, egg dishes, soups, and salads, but also to pack in school lunches.
4. Apples. It's true that an apple a day can keep the doctor away! Apples are a healthy snack because of the fiber and 80 calorie conscious serving size. They are also portable and great for diabetics.
5. Non-fat Greek Yogurt. The trend for higher protein yogurt is great for stabilizing blood sugars as well as a replacement for dressings, sour cream, and for adding texture and protein for smoothies. It's also great for the tummy with the probiotic, and a good protein even for those with lactose sensitivities.
So next time you open the fridge door, make sure to replenish the space with at least these five healthy foods. This will make it a lot easier to be healthy!
What other items are in your fridge?