No matter how old you get, the mere mention of macaroni and cheese is guaranteed to make your heart flutter. There are a million and one ways to add some sophisticated, grown-up touches to one of your favorite childhood dishes. This recipe for Gouda and Bacon Macaroni and Cheese is sure to satisfy palettes of all ages this holiday season!
- 16 oz. elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1lb. smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 slices bread (about 2cups crumbs)
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prepare macaroni according to package directions. Set aside.
- In large pot, melt butter over medium high heat. Add skim milk and bring to near boiling. Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle in flour. Whisk vigorously over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be thick and boiling. Slowly add cream, while whisking. Add in salt, pepper, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- In food processor, shred Gouda and Cheddar cheese. Add to pot, stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add cooked macaroni to cheese mixture. Pour into a 13x9 dish.
- In same food processor bowl (no need to wash it after shredding the cheese), process 5 slices of bread to a fine crumb. Add melted butter. Sprinkle over macaroni. Top with crumbled bacon.
- Bake uncovered in a 375°F oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Take out and serve!
Recipe Credit: Shugary Sweets