This recipe for green bean casserole adds a contemporary twist to the traditional holiday side dish. Try it at home as a side with chicken or fish, or serve it for Thanksgiving dinner. The pancetta is sure to give a lot of extra flavor to this classic vegetable dish!
- 2 tbsp. of vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cup of milk
- 1 tsp. of salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 package frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 slices of pancetta, cut in squares
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Cook pancetta in olive oil until crispy.
- Remove from pan and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- In frying pan, sauté onion in vegetable oil 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir until mixed.
- Slowly stir in milk.
- Turn heat to low and continue to stir until mix thickens into a gravy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix panko bread crumbs and olive oil in a small dish.
- In a 13x9 baking dish, combine green beans, gravy and pancetta.
- Add more salt and pepper as desired.
- Top with bread crumb mixture.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until bubbling. Serve while hot.
Recipe Credit: Food Wine Fashion