Halloween is right around the corner! Check out this fun cookie recipe for Halloween!
It’s time to think about what you might do with your kids and what treats you will make to give away that night when trick or treaters ring your doorbell. One popular item with kids is homemade cookies. Halloween cookies come in all shapes and sizes, from pumpkins and skeletons to graveyards, witches, and ghouls. But, these Halloween spider cookies were always my kid’s favorites.
Cake-like cookies with black licorice legs and red mini chocolate eyes make an impressive Halloween spider cookie. Kids of all ages love these cookies, not to mention adults. If you look on the Internet, you will see many different recipes for spider cookies and some are quite simple, using vanilla or orange-filled cookies instead of making your cookies from scratch. But these homemade cookies will become tradition once you try them.
Halloween Cookie Recipe
- 1 1/2 cup flour
- 1 12 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 squares unsweetened chocolate
- 4 tbls. butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, unbeaten
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt, and set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butter and cool.
- Add sugar to chocolate and mix well.
- Add egg to chocolate mixture and beat thoroughly.
- Add flour mixture alternating with milk, stirring only to blend. Add vanilla.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheet. Bake 7-9 minutes at 375 degrees and then cool on a rack.
Halloween Spider Cookie Filling
- 1/2 stick butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup Crisco
- 1 cup confectioner sugar
- 3 heaping tbls. marshmallow cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla
Beat all ingredients until smooth.
Once the cookies are cooled, spread filling on the flat side of one, and stick it to the flat side of another. Decorate with spider parts, like licorice strings for legs. Place red mini chocolate candies for eyes (stuck on with a bit of filling).
This recipe makes 24 individual cookies or 12 spider cookies.
For recipes and food tips from Sally, check out Sally's Place.