We all know you can become a bit indulgent when it comes to those pesky pregnancy cravings.
I have fallen victim to my French fry addiction every now and again. So I try to limit myself to once a week and replace the rest of the nagging junk-food needs with healthier foods for my pregnancy! Here are some simple replacements for common pregnancy junk-food pitfalls.
The Pasta Addict
- Spaghetti Squash Noodles – I love roasting a squash and forking out the healthy starch into a bowl and topping it with my favorite sauce.
- Kelp Noodles – Need some extra iodine? If you are a vegan, you just might. These seaweed noodles are super healthy and have a neutral taste if you are worried about a fishy flavor.
- Soba Noodles – I love buckwheat. It is a healthy fruit made into a noodle! Just make sure you are buying a brand like Eden Selected that does not enrich it with wheat.
- Quinoa Noodles – Rather than grabbing a regular noodle, grab these protein-filled noodles that are naturally gluten-free.
The Burger Buffer
- Veggie-rific Burger – Get some added fiber by making a bean-based burger.
- Bison Burger – Grass-fed bison is the leanest of the lean. Make it medium so you ward off any undercooked meat.
- Chicken Burger – White chicken meat is leaner than most turkey meats. If making a lean meat burger, make it with chicken. Try stuffing them for flavor. A fav combo? Dried Cranberry and sage-stuffed burgers.
The French Fry Fanatic
- Sweet Potato Fries - I cut them up and top them with some tasty seasonings like cumin and cayenne pepper.
- Homemade Peruvian Potato Fries - Purple is not only a pretty color, but it makes for a yummy fry. These potatoes can be sliced or quartered and baked and then mix them with some caramelized onions. Yum!
- Zucchini Fries – You can make any veggies into “fries” if you cook them at a low temperature for a long period of time. We love using a dehydrator, but if you do not want another mini appliance on your hands, use your oven and watch them closely so they do not dry out completely.
The Chocolate Freak
- Wax Orchards Fruit Fudge - Great dip for berries or topping for foods if you have a chocolate craving.
- 70% (+) Dark Chocolate - It's full of antioxidants and just 2 oz. per day can have health benefits! Small portions of dark chocolate-covered healthy items like almonds or Goji berries.
For more on living healthy, go to Ashley Pettit Living.