Start your day off right by doing your heart a favor.
A heart-healthy breakfast is an easy way to get your body into a routine without sacrificing all of your favorite morning meals. Doctors have always stressed the importance of eating breakfast everyday, not only to balance out a healthy heart, but to also boost your metabolism, which helps in weight-loss.
- If you find that bacon is a staple during your breakfast time, instead of cutting it out of your diet completely, switch to Canadian bacon. It contains more protein and a lot less fat than regular bacon.
- When preparing lean meats, avoid making them unhealthy by not using things with hydrogenated vegetable oil, which often shows up in shortening and margarine.
- Do not drink whole milk. Skim or any other fat-free option is much better for you when it comes to cholesterol.
- Egg whites are your friend. Each yolk contains 200 milligrams of cholesterol and diets should incorporate less than 300 milligrams a day. By enjoying two eggs, yolks included, you have already gone over this limit!
- Egg whites can be flavorful. Add in your favorite veggies and make a delicious and filling omelet.
- Keep your toast, bagels, and English muffins whole-grain. This will boost your fiber and iron, which helps lower cholesterol. For spreads, stick with non-fat cream cheese or peanut butter.
- Don’t be afraid to top your breakfast off with fresh fruit, like sliced bananas, for an extra healthy boost.
- Even though you’re watching what you eat doesn’t mean you have to give up an occasional pancake breakfast. When making pancakes or waffles, just be sure to switch out the regular batter for whole wheat.
- For toppings, use a healthier margarine substitute and try 100% fruit preserves and fresh berries instead of syrup.
- Do NOT skip breakfast, even if you’re rushing out the door. Keep hard granola bars in your purse or car. These are sold in low-fat flavors that use more natural ingredients.
- Grab an apple and a fat-free yogurt before you head out.
- If you have just a few minutes for a quick bowl of cereal, make sure it is high on fiber. Bran is a great choice and is full of iron.
A quick tip: Vitamin C helps your body absorb iron, so have a glass of orange juice alongside your cereal!
Changing your eating habits can be a difficult thing to do, but don’t think of it as sacrificing what you love. Simple substitutes and new ways of preparing things are going to help your heart in the long run just by making yourself a healthy routine for breakfast!