- This month I’ve researched holiday gift ideas for foodies. The NASFT (National Association of Specialty Food Trade) says the top three gift categories are chocolate, coffee and tea. But I have lots more.
The companies below sell online, offer gift certificates or gift cards and ship. But don’t wait until the last minute to order. Some of the companies are small and might run out of product. Don’t be disappointed.
For the Chocolate Lover
- Lillie Belle Farms: lilliebellefarms.com, 888-899-2022.
I LOVE their lavender-infused caramels with fleur de sel but their seasonal Eggnog Truffles are timely. “Bean-to-Bar” chocolate bars and the Chocolate Club are two other must haves. Lillie Belle is a Good Foods Award finalist for 2012.
- Trappistine Creamy Caramels from the nuns of Our Lady of the Mississippi Abbey monasterycandy.com/ 866.556.3400.
These Roman Catholic nuns support their life of prayer through their candy sales. My favorite is the dark chocolate-coated caramel but there are many choices: vanilla and chocolate wrapped caramels, hazelnut meltaways, Swiss and Irish mints, truffles and Candy of the Month Club.
- Philadelphia Candies philadelphiacandies.com/ 855-744-5592.
A full range of candies has been available since 1919 but the Chocolate of the Month Club and Christmas Collection are perfect for this time of year. Chocolate Champagnes, Santa filled with Mini Presents, Santa’s Workshop, Mimi boots filled with pretzel rods, and Light-bulb Lollipops are a few of the holiday offerings.
For the Coffee Connoisseur
- Animal Coffee: animalcoffee.com/ Bali +62 81337 006380; Australia +61 0401 888 960.
Animalcoffee sells authentic kopi luwak from Indonesia on the Internet. Kopi luwak is the world’s rarest coffee. For the complete story, visit their website. I’m sure you will find this VERY interesting.
For the Tea Obsessed
- Zhi Tea: zhitea.com/ 888-944-4832.
This Austin, Texas, tea specialist sells quality organic and fair trade tea including tea baskets. Think oolong, green, white, red and black. I am a coconut fan and found three choices here. Their Exotic Organic Tea Club is a good way to sample new teas or would be a welcome gift for tea connoisseurs.
For the Olive Oil Specialist
- The Olive Tap: theolivetap.com/ 888-642-5472.
If you are looking for gifts that last long past the holiday, The Olive Tap sells artisan gourmet olive oils and vinegars. Their 60 unique products are Italian and Californian in origin. Think gift baskets, corporate gifts, culinary sauces, spices, herbs, and rubs.
For the Carnivores Among Us
- Double R Ranch Co.: thedoublerranch.com/ 877.736.0194.
This Pacific Northwest ranch sells rib eyes, strip loin steaks, tender loin filets and roasts. The meat arrives blast frozen with cooking instructions. I tried their cap of filet and it was quite tasty.
- Goode Company: goodecompany.com/ 800-627-3502.
Texas mesquite smoked BBQ is the name of the game here but you must order the Brazos Bottom Pecan Pie, which I have been enjoying for years. Jim Goode also excels in turkey, brisket, sausage and ribs.
For Specialty Gourmet Honey Fans
- Honey Ridge Farms: honeyridgefarms.com/ 360.256.0086.
Award winning honey products include Balsamic Honey Vinegar and Honey Crèmes (a blend of honey and fruit or spices), such as lemon, apricot, clover, blackberry and cranberry.
For Champagne Drinkers
- Wild Hibiscus: wildhibiscus.com/ 800-499-8490.
This Sydney, Australia company has been producing wild hibiscus flowers in syrup since 1997 but recently came out with wild hibiscus flowers in rose syrup, a new addition to the line. These flowers are placed in a glass of champagne and are a real conversation piece.
To Indulge in the Spirit of the Holidays
The last 2 items might be the most important. If you buy goods from these 2 websites you will be helping women create futures for themselves. These businesses employ women to help them break the cycle of poverty and unemployment. Their websites sell products, such as gift baskets, jewelry, and gourmet food.
- Women’s Bean Project: womensbeanproject.com/ 303-292-919; Denver, Colorado.
- Tomorrow Project: tomorrowproject.org/ 619-230-1151; San Diego, California.
For more gift ideas by me, please visit SallysPlace.