With the holidays right around the corner, it’s time to think food! Not just any kind of food… seasonal food! For example, check out this Italian style holiday stuffing. Stuffing is a staple side dish for any holiday menu, but this version is definitely unique.
What we love most about stuffing is that’s is incredibly versatile. For this recipe, we decided to put an Italian twist on a traditional stuffing, so we used traditional ingredients like celery, onion, and carrot but decided to use Italian herbs like basil and parsley. We also added some cheese because, well, everything is better with cheese.
Let’s take a closer look at this delicious Italian style holiday stuffing…
Here is the line up of ingredients. Italian sausage, chicken broth, salt, pepper, white onion, celery, carrots, French bread, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, parsley, basil, rosemary, and garlic of course. Also, imagine there are two eggs in the picture.
And there you have it, a simple and flavorful season recipe for any holiday!
- 1 small or half of a large French bread baguette, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound Italian sausage (I used mild, but if you like heat you can use hot)
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced rosemary
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- ¾ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9x13 baking dish; set aside.
- Cut French bread into 1 inch cubes, place on a baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Turn the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage. Cook sausage until browned and caramelized breaking it up as it cooks. Pour sausage into a large bowl; set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the onion, celery, and carrot. Sauté for about 6 minutes then add garlic. Sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add the cooked vegetables to the bowl with the sausage.
- Add the cubed bread and the rest of the ingredients except for the chicken broth and eggs to the bowl. Gently mix.
- Add the chicken broth and gently mix, allowing the bread to soak up the broth.
- Lastly, beat two eggs in a small bowl and add them to the bowl. Again, gently mix until distributed evenly.
- Pour the stuffing mixture into the greased 9x13 baking dish, cover with aluminum foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top if desired.