Presented by StarKist® Albacore Tuna
Is it just me… or do you also find yourself constantly trying to come up with new ideas for snacks, lunch and dinners that you know your family will love and you know will be good for them?
It’s a never-ending job! With three kids (who all eat different things, of course… why should it be easy?) and a husband to feed, sometimes it seems that meal planning has become my second (or is it third?) full-time job.
I’m sure I’m not alone. Between all our busy work, school and family schedules, getting everyone to the table, out the door, and fed really deserves a LinkedIn skill category!
But the truth is: it’s a job I love. One of the things I do at home (and at WomensForum) is create new recipes for my family and for our viewers.
I love to cook, and grew up in a family bagel bakery, so food is just part of who I am and how I see the world. I love cooking shows, cookbooks, and I admit it - I’m one of those who secretly tear recipes out of magazines in the doctor’s waiting room. There, you caught me!
These days, I’m really into remaking recipes, especially ones that allow my family to get in on the fun in the kitchen!
And with February being National Heart Month, I’m happy to share a tasty, fun to use and heart-healthy ingredient that helps make delicious meals - StarKist® Albacore Tuna! With StarKist® Albacore Tuna, your meal has heart-healthy flavor certified by the American Heart Association®.
One of my all-time, go-to favorite ideas for a quick snack or lunch idea? Asian lettuce cups with StarKist® Albacore Tuna.
It’s delicious and an absolute hit at my house! Here’s what you’ll need to make it… and the best part is that it takes five minutes to get it on the table!
Asian Inspired StarKist® Albacore Tuna Salad in Lettuce Cups
- 2 5 oz. cans StarKist® Albacore Tuna
- 8 Bibb (Boston) lettuce leaves
- ½ cup Mandarin orange slices
- ¼ cup juice from Mandarin oranges
- ½ cup thinly sliced red pepper
- ½ cup shredded red cabbage
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped green onion
- 1 tbps. toasted sesame seeds (just toast them for a few seconds in a skillet)
- Heat small non-stick skillet on medium heat. Add sesame seeds and toast them for 3 minutes until sesame seeds are fragrant and start to turn golden. Remove from heat to cool.
Gently combine StarKist® Albacore Tuna, onion, cabbage and reserved juice from the Mandarin oranges in a medium bowl.
- Rinse and pat dry the lettuce leaves. Lay out each leaf and place a few pieces of red pepper on the bottom of each leaf. Place a scoop of the tuna mixture on the lettuce and top with a few Mandarin oranges and a sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve and enjoy.
I promise your family will love, love, love this delicious, heart-healthy dish. By using StarKist® Albacore Tuna, this lettuce cups recipe becomes rich in Omega-3s and contains at least 12g of protein.
Overall, this recipe is crisp, bright, sweet, and full of crunchy goodness.
And all your family will know is that it’s just as satisfying as any lettuce cup appetizer they’ve had in a restaurant and that Mom (once again) is a superstar. I’d say that’s reward enough!
Check out more recipes and heart health facts here!