Sorry to say it but just because you now have a marriage license with your new name, doesn’t mean you’re done. There are few more steps to fully and legally changing your name but it doesn’t have to be a lot of work. Follow our simple steps to change your name when you get back from the honeymoon!
Easy Steps to Changing your Name
- Get extra copies of your marriage license. It costs a little extra but you’ll need some extras on hand.
- Head to the Social Security Administration's website and fill out an application for a new card. Only your name will change, you will have the same number. Either mail it or head to your local Social Security Administration office. Go in the mornings on a workday to avoid the crowds.
- Get a new driver’s license. Head to your local DMV and bring every document you can think of for your new name, including your new social security card. Again, pick a good time so you can avoid the dreaded lines.
- Change your bank information. Head to your bank and bring all your important documents and bring your husband with, especially if you plan to set up a joint account. Make sure to also get some new checks with your new name and new debit and credit cards.
- Now you’ve done the hard part so you just need to fill in the blanks and change the information on things like: payroll, bills, post office, landlord, school information, insurance companies, doctors offices and your passport.
- To make it easier, look over all the paperwork or bills in your home and make a list of everything you need to change. You could also do this before you even start to change your name and make a checklist of the most important and in order of the ones you need to change.