Get your kids moving with some fun, family-friendly ideas to encourage health and fitness!
First Lady Michelle Obama’s ‘Let’s Move!’ campaign has brought light to the shockingly high rates of childhood obesity in the United States. Her campaign has successfully resulted in healthier options in our school’s cafeterias. Fitness is necessary to combating the percentage of overweight or obese children in the US (more than 68%!). Kids need a healthy diet and also plenty of exercise!
How can we encourage our kid’s to get out and get moving? What if they aren’t confident in their coordination or athletic skills? Here are some easy and fun exercises or activities for your kids to get them off the couch and on their feet!
Exercise Activities for Kids
- Jump rope or play double-dutch with friends
- Canoeing or kayaking
- Yard work (Your landscaping will benefit from this too!)
- Have a dance party! Try different tempos of music, or the game "freeze dance."
- Play basketball
- Start a game of tag
- Resistance bands
- Variations of push-ups (Wall push-ups, on your knees, etc.)
- Rock climbing or climbing a jungle gym
- Wheelbarrow Race (One player "walks" on hands while other holds up legs)
- Yoga (Show your child a few simple poses each morning, i.e. ‘downward dog’)
- Gymnastics and tumbling
- High-knee pulls (Standing or walking, pull up knees to chest)
- Stretching before and after physical activities (Make this a routine)
Grab your kids and get active! It will benefit them as well as give you some family time with your children. We can all help stop the childhood obesity epidemic if we work together!