• 48tw
  • 48pin
Home Forum
  • You Are Here
mrphalvorsen
Nouveau Riche

Re: How to Help Teens Manage Time?

#11724 3 years, 6 months ago
Maybe I'm just crazy, but it sounds to me like your teen might simply have too much going on. I think we tend to over schedule our kids from a very early age and not let them spend enough time just being kids.

The policy my parents took was to allow me and my siblings to choose two and only two extracurricular activities. (A part time job counted as an activity). This allowed us to manage our time better and also taught us how to prioritize. I chose to focus on drama and student council when I was in High School and I feel like I excelled in both because I didn't divide my time in a thousand different ways.

This approach also really helped me to understand how much my parents valued my education. They knew I didn't want to work part time, and they agreed to help me pay for things (in moderation) as long as my grades stayed high.

Because my attention was more focused, I was able to achieve a lot more success in my chosen activities than I would if I had tried to pursue everything that caught my eye.
sarah_allen
Avant Garde

#11731 3 years, 6 months ago
Yes, it might help splitting time according to your priorities but you shouldn't rub it too much on the children. It might disturb them if you divide their time all of a sudden. You can consider by starting putting a cork to their playtime and then devote sometime for studies/activities.
baprice
Nouveau Riche

#11776 3 years, 6 months ago
This week we have cut out all social activities because nine week exams are on Thursday and Friday. Guess what? It hasn't killed him to be home at night! We continue to try and find that balance but over all I think he is doing well.
mrphalvorsen
Nouveau Riche

#11779 3 years, 6 months ago
I hope I didn't offend you by saying he seemed over-scheduled. I'm quite jealous of my family time, but I know that will have to change when my kids become teenagers. I tend to mirco-manage my family a little too much!
Elizabeth_Gainer
Nouveau Riche

#11786 3 years, 6 months ago
I strongly believe in guiding than MAKING them follow his schedule. I would suggest him to do things like a friend and it really pays off.
Jenn.thequeen
Nouveau Riche

#11858 3 years, 6 months ago
You should never pressurize a teen, it would make matters worse than they are, just tell them the rules and make sure they follow the rules but dont show them a certain path to follow the rules.
Time to create page: 0.17 seconds