While watching the Kentucky Derby, sip on these kickin' cocktails!
Even if you don't follow the horse races, the Kentucky Derby is fun to watch with the back stories of the horses, their trainers and owners. Those of you that could care less about the race can at least enjoy a few traditional Kentucky Derby drinks! Here are some good Kentucky Derby drink recipes to try as you watch those beauties run.
Great Kentucky Derby Drink Recipes
Spicy Blood Mary
This is an awesome morning-of-the-race drink or a just plain race-time drink.
- 1 cup Vodka
- 4-6 drops of Hot Sauce (depending on what you can handle)
- 1/2 cup of Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Celery Salt
- 1 teaspoon Celery Seeds (this is optional)
Mix all together in a large, covered pitcher for 24 hours. When garnishing, add green onion, olives, celery sticks or asparagus spears."
Blood and Sand
- 1 ounce Kentucky Whiskey
- 1 ounce Blood Orange Juice
- 1 ounce Martini Rosso Sweet Vermouth
- 1/2 ounce Cherry Heering
Combine all ingredients and shake over ice. Pour into a martini glass that is chilled. Garnish with orange and arrange it over glass in a decadent way.
Kentucky Whiskey Smash
- 2 shots of Bourbon (note, a shot is counted as a "one-thousand one, one thousand two" as you pour, if you don't have the measurement fixture).
- 3/4 cup of Lemon Juice
- 4 Mint Leaves
- 1 shot of Simple Syrup
- Mint Sprig and/or Lemon Wheel (for garnish)
Mix everything but the Bourbon (and garnish) in a glass. Then add the Maker's Mark Bourbon and shake all with ice. Pour over ice-filled rock glasses. Add the lemon wheel and/or sprig of mint for garnish.
Woodford Reserve Chocolatini
- 2 ounces Mint-Infused Woodford Reserve
- 2 ounces Half and Half Cream
- 2 ounces Dark Crème de Cocoa
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake briskly. Immediately pour into a martini glass (stainless steel optional). Finish off with a garnish of mint sprig.
We hope you enjoy the Kentucky Derby! If you try these Kentucky Derby drink recipes, let us know your thoughts or your own recipes!