Vintage Recipe for Tasty Refreshment Finds New Popularity Any Time of Year!
Lemonade Shake ups are a favorable family treat during the hot summer months. You can usually find them in local and state fairs ever since several states began holding fairs in the late 1800s. These fairs were created to allow townspeople the opportunity to share ideas and opinions on the latest farming techniques. These fairs served various food and beverages. Some of them included corn on the cob, a variety of sandwiches, milk shakes and lemonade shake up treats the very best of lemonade mixtures to come along in centuries.
Two Lemonade Shake Up Recipes
Sipping lemonade is a favorite pasttime in the summer and yet the best time of year for lemons is in the dead of winter when they are perfectly ready to pick in Arizona.
The first mention of lemonade shake ups was at the Iowa state fair. This beverage was such a hit that it rapidly spread throughout different state fairs. Shortly after the lemon shake ups beverage first began at the Iowa state fairs, lemonade shakes spread far and wide to many other state and local fairs. This beverage is a lot like lemonade and contains much of the same ingredients.
There are many different methods to make a lemonade shake up beverage. One way is by using lemon powder instead of juice. According to most opinions, freshly squeezed lemon juice always makes the best treats. Another variation is stirring not shaking the mixture. If you stir the ingredients together, you are making lemonade not lemon shake ups treats. This slight difference drastically changes the taste. You can even find this treat in orange and strawberry flavors. The fact still remains that lemon shake ups are the most favored. Below you will find two different lemonade shake up recipes that can have you sipping lemonade to your heart's content.
What you will need:
- 1 C of water
- 1 C of lemon juice
- 2 C of sugar
Lemonade shake up recipe #1
- Place sugar and the water in a sauce pan. Cook the lemonade mixture on high, bringing it to a full boil. Continue to let the mixture boil for 5 more minutes. Set the lemonade mixture aside, to let it cool at room temperature.
- Next Wash the lemons then microwave the lemons on high for 5 seconds. This makes it easier to squeeze out the juice.
- Cut each lemon in half. Squeeze enough lemons to make 1 cup of juice, approximately 3 lemons, then strain the lemon juice to remove the pulp.
- When the sugar water mixture is cool add the cup of strained lemon juice to the mixture, then stir the three ingredients well.
- Add 2TBS of the Lemonade shake up syrup mix to each 8 ounce glass of ice water then cover the glass and shake it up.
Ingredients You Will Need For Recipe #2.
- 3 lemons
- 1 ½ cups of sugar
Lemonade shake up recipe #2
- Wash the lemons and cut the lemons in half.
- Squeeze the juice out of the lemons and then strain the juice.
- Then mix the lemon juice and the sugar together.
- Add 3 Tbs. of lemon sugar mixture to an 8 Ounce glass of water, shake it well and add ice to the lemon shake up.
- Place the lemon halves on top of the cup and serve
Like the lemonade shake ups recipes listed above, there are other recipes that also require that you to boil the sugar water mixture before adding the juice. The difference between the two is that lemonade is stirred, not shaken. This variation changes the taste. So next time you want a refreshing drink try cold lemonade shake up. Again remember to shake not stir your beverage.