Super bowl is around the corner and you may be saving up your calories binges for that one day of PARTYING! But don’t sabotage your diet for a super plate of calories when you can serve up some healthy snack and meal ideas. Even if you’re not the hostess, you can bring a dish you know you’ll love without those high calorie bombs.
Here are two of my favorites!
No Guilt Seven Layer Dip
Here’s a healthier version of the dipping favorite that fills you up and keeps the guild away.
- Take 1 pound plum tomatoes (fresh) diced, 1 green onion finely chopped, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, ½ jalapeno seeded and chopped, one teaspoon lime juice and a pinch of salt.
- Next take one small onion diced and sauté in 1 teaspoon oil until soft. Sprinkle with chili powder, salt and pepper and add one 15 oz can of rinsed pinto beans.
- Mash the beans and onions until smooth.
- Next mash an avocado, 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped and ½ lime juice with a sprinkle of salt.
- Now layer bean mash, followed by tomato mix, avocado and then a layer of fresh corn off the cob (canned if you must).
- Top if off with cheddar cheese and use colored peppers, cucumbers and yes tortilla chips to dip.
This easy-to-follow Turkey Chili recipe is a great hit, high in flavor, fiber and yes, low in calories.
- In a large skillet brown, two pounds ground turkey sautéed with 2 teaspoons chili powder and 2 teaspoons cumin.
- Add to skillet one 15-ounce can rinsed kidney beans, one 6-ounce can diced tomatoes, and one half of an 18-ounce tube of polenta.
- Mix together until heated through and serve with 1 teaspoon of shredded cheddar cheese.
Remember that you can fill up on proteins to help curb your snacking seizures and low calorie options like air-popped popcorn. Veggies and low calorie beverages can keep you on track with no penalties.