Make a healthy substitute for the holiday season with these delicious and nutritious side dishes!
During the holidays, it’s perfectly fine to indulge in some of your favorite recipes, but why can’t some of them be a little bit health conscious as well? Holiday side dishes are the perfect opportunity to lower fat content and calories so that your dessert won’t push you over the edge. Check out these low-fat side dishes that are just as yummy as their unhealthy counterparts.
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced fat cream cheese
- salt and pepper (varies to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives
- Steam cauliflower florets for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Heat olive oil and garlic in a small pan over medium heat. Once garlic is soft, set aside.
- Use a food processor to blend the cauliflower, one floret at a time, until they are creamy.
- Then simply add and blend in the Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with chives and it's ready to be served!
Butternut Squash & Apple Casserole
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into cubes (about 5 cups)
- 1-2 apples, cut into cubes
- ½ cup dried cranberries (optional)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Combine ingredients in a baking dish and cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, uncover, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
These quick and easy sides will be the perfect (and healthy!) addition to a delicious home cooked holiday feast!