The National Household Travel Survey showed that the number of trips made by bicycle in the U.S. more than doubled from 1.7 billion in 2001 to 4 billion in 2009.
In honor of National Bike to Work day, hundreds of thousands of commuters will jump on their bikes and pedal into the office.
Key safety tips to keep in mind for biking to work:
1. Obey all traffic signals. Bikers should follow the rules of the road and keep eyes open to traffic signals as well as cars on the road.
2. Watch parked cars. Although parked cars aren't moving, it is wise to watch for those passengers getting out of their vehicle and swinging the car door for a solid obstacle in your path.
3. Wear a helmet. Head injuries account for the most tragic of bike injuries that can be prevented by wearing a helmet.
4. Know your ABC's. Air, Brake and Chains. Check each of these weekly to ensure a well functioning bicycle.
5. Roll em up. Roll up your pants to keep them from getting caught in the chains.