Any dessert with strawberries in it is absolutely the perfect option for summertime. There’s something just so refreshing about fruit in dessert! But in the summer, when you’re just too lazy to bake, this no-bake strawberry shortcake recipe sure hits the spot! Plus, it’s made in mason jars so you have an easy way to store it in the fridge and everyone gets their own serving.
Here’s an awesome recipe for the best strawberry shortcake you’ll ever have, perfect for your next backyard get-together!
- 2 pounds of strawberries
- 2 cups of sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 store-bought angel food cake
- 1 carton of heavy whipping cream
- Fresh mint
- 4 16 oz mason jars
- Remove the stems from all the strawberries and cut them into thin slices.
- Place in a large bowl.
- Next, add the lemon juice and just one cup of sugar.
- Mix well and cover.
- Place in the fridge overnight to let it all soak together.
- The next day, cut out slices of your angel food cake and place at the bottom of each jar.
- Remove your strawberry mixture from the fridge and give it a good stir.
- Add the strawberries on top of the angel food cake.
- Add another layer of angel food cake.
- In a large bowl, add the heavy whipping cream, one cup of sugar and lime zest and use a hand mixer to create a zesty whipped cream.
- Add the whipped cream on top of the second layer of angel food cake.
- Chop your fresh mint and sprinkle on top for garnish.
- Enjoy, and store in the fridge!
Photo Credits: April Schallau