Every mom knows kids love pizza. Now you can make your family's day - and feel great about serving them good food - when you cook up this healthy pizza soup. Our easy recipe delivers the delicious flavors of a pepperoni pizza, for just a fraction of the calories and fat.
Your kids will ask you to make this pizza-inspired take on classic tomato soup again and again. You'll love feeding your kids a full serving of heart-healthy vegetables, without the usual arguing. Plus, it's easy to get ready in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe makes 6 hearty soup servings.
- 1 28 ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup of pepperoni slices
- 1 cup of diced low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup small croutons
- Food processor or blender
How To Make the Pizza Soup Recipe:
- Pour the tomatoes with their juices into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- In a medium sized pot, combine the pureed tomatoes and their juices with the chicken broth, salt, pepper and sugar. Heat on medium-high heat until the mixture starts to boil.
- Meanwhile, in a small glass, use a fork to whisk the milk and cornstarch together until the cornstarch has dissolved. Add this to the tomato mixture on the stove, just when that mixture begins to boil.
- Return contents of pot to a boil and cook, stirring constantly, for a minute or two until the soup thickens.
- Pour soup into serving bowls. Top each with an equal amount of diced cheese, pepperoni slices and croutons, and serve at once.
Note: This soup will also freeze well in an airtight container. Omit the toppings in step 5 when freezing, and add these only after soup has been reheated and is in bowls ready to serve.