Women Have All Kinds of Stresses- Parenting, a Partner, Work...
And on top of it all, there is the never-ending stress of keeping a clean house. No wonder we sometimes seek out unhealthy ways to deal with it all! Many of us collect fat around our abdomen because of the stress hormone cortisol. In this video, Andrea Metcalf shows us how to get rid of stress and that dreadful hormone by taking deep breaths. Really, ladies, we need to slow down and relax. There is only so much we can control.
Tips to Relieve Stress
- Stop what you’re doing and take slow, deep breaths.
- Count backward from 300 by threes, taking a deep breath each time you count backward.
- Close your eyes and envision your peaceful place. I always picture fishing on the Missouri river with my brother and watching the sun dance off the waves. What’s your peaceful place?
How to Lower Cortisol and Lose Weight
- Studies show that we can reduce our cortisol levels by doing yoga or engaging in meditation. Some yoga practices as Kundalini, Bikram and Ashtanga also get that cardiovascular workout in as well.
- Make sure you are getting enough sleep each night. According to the National Sleep Foundation, we need seven to nine hours each night. And if you are a night time exerciser, make sure you complete your workout three hours before you turn off the lights. And forget about reading or watching television in bed, as that can affect the quality of your sleep.
- Eat small meals throughout the day that contain complex carbohydrates and protein, preferably every three hours. This will keep you from feeling hungry and keep that metabolism up! Skipping meals will put your body in starvation mode and elevate your cortisol levels.
- If you work out a lot, consider taking a break. During workouts, your cortisol levels increase about 45 minutes to an hour after intense training. Shock your body by taking a few rest days and substituting Pilates or yoga.
- Ask yourself what your stressors are and what you can do to reduce them. Is it a belligerent husband or rebellious teen? Kick them out! Is it a psycho mother-in-law? Cut off communication!
Seriously, not to make light of the stress, but there are ways to reduce our stress. We hope you find this information helpful.
How do you relieve your stress? Let us know on Twitter or Facebook!