When the thermostat drops, coffee shops and restaurants will have salted caramel hot coca on their menu and boy, is it indulgent! The salty and sweet taste just delights the taste buds! But when it’s too cold to hop in the car, make a mug of salted caramel hot cocoa at home from scratch! This recipe is creamy, delicious and super easy to make!
- 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar. You can use less if you don’t like it too sweet
- 1 cup of milk. Use a splash of heavy cream instead of all milk; it makes it creamier!
- Splash of vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of caramel
- Caramel for topping
- Large pinch of salt
- Whipped cream
- In a small saucepan, mix the cocoa powder, sugar and two tablespoons of the milk/heavy cream over medium heat.
- Constantly stir until melted and dissolved.
- Pour in the rest of the milk/heavy cream and continue to stir over medium heat.
- Add the splash of vanilla.
- When heated through and thoroughly mixed, add the caramel and a large pinch of salt.
- Mix again and pour into mug.
- Top off with whipped cream and caramel!
This delicious recipe makes one serving but you can easily double or triple the recipe if you have guests!
Photo Credit: April Schallau