The average American these days eats out 4 times a week.
However, eating out can be quite expensive. Just eating out for lunch each work day with an average cost of $8 per meal can cost you close to $2000 per year. That same amount of money could buy you a trip to San Diego with airfare and lodging!
Save Money with a Lunch Buddy Program
Eating to maintain your waistline is always more difficult when you dine outside the home. It can be a challenge choosing the healthiest foods from just a menu plan unless there are calorie counts located on the menus. When you pack your lunch yourself, however, you know exactly what you're eating and how it was prepared.
With this in mind, I've come up with a solution. The 4=5 lunch program.
Team up with four of your friends or coworkers. Next, each of you pick a day to make lunch for the four of you. It costs less to make one meal for four than four different meals so you save money. With all the savings from not going out to lunch, you can all treat yourselves to a special lunch each Friday.
Here are four simple healthy lunch ideas...
Turkey Caesar Sandwich
- 1 pound of lean thin-sliced turkey
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tablespoon mayo & Dijon mustard each
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 8 slices whole grain high-fiber bread
- Mix mayo, Dijon mustard and a tablespoon of parmesan cheese together
- Use this as the spread on the bread.
- Add romaine to each side of the bread and 1/4 pound turkey.
- Top with 2nd slice of bread.
- 2 cans of salmon
- 2 tablespoons of mayo
- 1 cup of seedless green or red grapes sliced in half
- 1/2 cup of candied pecans or walnuts chopped small
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup or raw honey
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1/2 cup cucumber diced
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a bowl and divide into four servings.
Roast Beef Deluxe Sandwich
- 1 pound lean roast beef
- 4 small pretzel bread buns
- 1 apple sliced
- 4 pieces then sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon horseradish cream
- 1 tablespoon fat mayo
- 4 small romaine lettuce leaves
- Mix horseradish and mayo to spread on bottom bun.
- Add roast beef, one slice of apple, onion, romaine and top it off with the top bun.
Italian Quinoa Parm
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup Italian sauce
- 1 cup raw baby spinach
- 1/2 cup parmesan shredded
Directions: 1 cup cooked diced chicken breast
Mix all ingredients into a shallow baking dish reserve 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top before heating and eight 325° oven for 10 minutes.