Presented by Swanson®.
Soup is one of my favorite meals to make, especially during the fall and winter months. I love living in Chicago, but I do not like cold weather, which is why I make soup!
Soup makes everything better. I typically like to keep my soup recipes simple and light yet flavorful. To accomplish this, I love using chicken or vegetable broth as the base. This Kale, Bean Pea, and Ham Soup may be a mouthful to say out loud but is a delicious mouthful to taste. It’s a twist on traditional Tuscan bean soup and ham and pea soup. Combining the two makes this soup extra hearty and flavorful!
Here is the lineup of ingredients: onion, garlic, cannellini beans, kale, frozen peas, diced ham, Swanson® Chicken Broth, black pepper, and parmesan cheese. Not too difficult, right?
Start the soup by drizzling a few tablespoons of olive in a large pot.
Add the diced onion and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes or so. Pour in the chicken broth.
Then add the kale. I bought a bag of already trimmed kale, which makes things really easy. If you by the fresh stuff, just cut off the leaves and chop of the leaves. Simmer the kale for about 7 or 8 minutes.
While the kale is simmering, drain and rinse the cannellini beans.
Take half the beans and mash them with a fork. This will help thicken the soup up just a bit.
Now the rest is super simple. Add the rest of the ingredients; the beans, frozen peas (they don’t need to be thawed), diced ham, and black pepper.
Cover the pot and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 14 ounce cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups kale, stems removed and chopped (you can add more if you like)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup diced ham
- 1 32-ounce (4 cups) container Swanson® Chicken Broth
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for garnish (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add olive oil to large pot and place over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes. Then add garlic and sauté for 2 more minutes (if you had garlic too soon, it could burn).
- Next add chicken broth and kale and simmer for 7 minutes.
- While the kale is simmers, drain and rinse the beans, take half of the beans and mash them with a fork.
- After the kale has simmered, add the rest of the ingredients, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese if desired.
Photo Credit: Jessica Loizzo