Think outside the box and craft delicious international soup recipes made famous around the world… right in your kitchen.
A great international soup starts with a broth that infuses the perfect balance of ethnic spices and flavors, giving you the most authentic taste of global cuisines in your home!
Mexican Tortilla Soup
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 large jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained or 3 small tomatoes, diced
- 32 ounces (1 carton) Swanson® Mexican Tortilla Flavor Infused Broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Heat the oil in a 6-quart saucepot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and peppers and cook for 2 minutes or until tender-crisp, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomato paste, corn, beans, tomatoes, broth and chicken and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve topped with crushed tortilla chips or strips, if desired.
Russian Borscht Soup
- 2 cups of chopped beets
- 2 cups of chopped carrots
- 2 cups of chopped onion
- 4 cups of Swanson® Beef or Vegetable Broth
- 1 can (16 ounces) diced tomatoes, do not drain
- 2 cups of cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Boil the beets, carrots, onion and broth in a large saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cabbage, re-cover and simmer again for another 30 minutes. Stir in salt, dill and pepper.
Spicy Peanut Soup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, diced (about 2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 6 cups Swanson® Chicken Broth
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/3 cup sliced green onion or chives
- 1/3 cup chopped dry roasted salted peanuts
Heat the oil in a 4-quart saucepot over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots and ginger and cook until they’re tender-crisp. Add the red pepper and cook for 1 minute. Stir the broth and sweet potatoes in the saucepot. Heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the peanut butter.
Place 1/3 of the broth mixture in a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat the blending process twice more with the remaining broth mixture. Return all of the puréed mixture to the saucepot. Cook over medium heat until the mixture is hot. Season to taste. Divide the soup among 8 serving bowls. Top each serving of soup with the green onions and peanuts.
Italian Garden Zuppa Toscana
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- ½ pound bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups Swanson® Tuscan Chicken Flavor Infused Broth
- 1 tsp. grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat skillet on medium high heat. Drop in grape seed oil. After 30 seconds, place in bacon and cook until crispy and brown (6-8 minutes). Transfer bacon on side over towel. In a dutch oven or large pot, cook Italian sausage over medium heat, then crumble as it cooks with a spoon. Let it cook through (3-5 minutes) then remove crumbles and set aside.
Add onion to sausage drippings, then stir frequently to cook until onions become translucent (2-3 minutes). Add in garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Then add broth and bring to boil. Add potatoes and cook them until tender.
Stir in sausage and spinach until spinach wilts, then stir in heavy cream until heated through. Season with some salt and pepper and serve!