Prepare your spice cabinet this fall by stocking up on the staples for your favorite seasonal recipes!Whether you're making a pumpkin pie, stir fry or stew, these spices will serve you well this season. Embrace the flavors of the fall by using these six spices in your cooking this season.
Enjoy these flavors in every meal, as each of these versatile spices can be used in both sweet and savory recipes. Also, check out my recipe for 7 Up Pound Cake that utilizes spice number five on the list.
6 Must-Have Spices for Fall Cooking
- Cinnamon: Either sticks or ground cinnamon can be used in cookies, cakes, yeast breads, chili, roasted vegetables and savory meat dishes.
- Ginger: Whether fresh, candied or ground, use ginger in gingersnap cookies, gingerbread treats, apple pie, pumpkin pie, curries, stir-fry recipes, marinades, juices, and teas.
- Cloves: Whole and ground cloves can be used in recipes for ham, mulled apple cider, fruits, teas and curries.
- Pumpkin Pie: This spice is a blend consisting of mace, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, and cinnamon. Typically used in pumpkin pies, but can be used in other desserts and treats.
- Nutmeg: Use either whole or ground nutmeg in baked goods, eggnog and savory dishes such as soups, meatloaf, and baked acorn squash.
- Cardamom: Whole or ground cardamon can used in cookies, after-dinner teas, soups and curries.
Feeling inspired to add a little spice to your life? Try out this recipe for 7 Up Pound Cake! It's a traditional recipe with a twist. Fresh basil, rose geranium or mint leaves placed at the bottom of the pan end up on top of the cake when it is inverted. Combined with nutmeg, this recipe is full of delicious fall spice and flavor.
7Up Pound Cake Recipe
- 3 sticks butter, unsalted
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 whole eggs
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 3 cups flour, cake or all-purpose
- 1 cup 7 Up Soda (or similar lemon-lime soda)
- 8—10 basil, rose geranium or mint leaves, cleaned
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour a bundt or tube pan well.
- All ingredients need to be at room temperature.
- Combine butter and sugar in a stand mixer until well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add nutmeg and lemon juice and mix well.
- Add flour, one cup at a time, and combine.
- Add 7 Up and mix well.
- Place leaves in the bottom of the pan, covering the bottom of the ban completely. The leaves will shrink during baking.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake 1 hour, 10 minutes. Cake should be tested with a cake tester. Invert pan on a platter until cake falls out.
For more cooking tips, visit Sally's Place.